What’s Exciting About Your Packaging Design?
Packaging design can make or break your product sales. What’s exciting is that your choices can give a significant boost to your company’s revenue. So do the best job you can on it.
Are you rebranding or looking for packaging efficiencies? Are you a new soap product entrepreneur looking to build shelf impact against major brands or a specialty cosmetic/health product manufacturer who wants to maximize shopper impulse to make the most of the 2 seconds consumers look at your product? Then you’ll want to ensure you have the key design imperatives covered.
Did They Give you a Common Design?
If you’re hiring a packaging designer to create new product or secondary packaging, remember that even the best forget these basics. Stir their imagination and help them recognize where your packaging is failing. The better their understanding of all your brand positioning and product benefits, the more likely you are to achieve your sales and promotion goals.
Questions are always good. It’s part of the perfection/optimization process. Here are what I feel are the top considerations in excellent packaging design:
- Relevance – Are the colours, styling, imagery, font selection and packaging shapes relevant to your brand and product type? Have you asked enough test subjects to offer their opinion about whether anything about it is confusing or repugnant?
- Shelf-Impact – Does your design catch attention, and set it apart from competitor’s products on the shelves? How does it look behind a frosty freezer window or next to the top brand?
- Clarity – is your printing clear, using an easy to read font, where your product/brand value proposition is easy to comprehend?
- Simplicity/Practicality – is your design uncluttered enough to highlight the essential aspects? Is the shape practical enough to hold in hand and stack on the shelf?
- Originality/Uniqueness – Does your packaging avoid parity and help the product look truly unique and desirable?
- Added Value – does your packaging discourage over-handling and tampering? Is it so unique, bold, or exquisite that shoppers will buy it just for the beauty of your packaging? Can the packaging be used by them for anything else and does the packaging aid the consumer at home?
- Recyclability – does your design incorporate eco-friendly materials, lightweighting, and minimize print waste?
- Trend Aware – Will your design be considered in style in the years ahead? What elements of your design are trendy and may go out of style soon? What will give you opportunities to freshen up the design in a few years?
- Extensibility – Can your design, colours be applied to a full line of products or categories should you decide to expand after initial sales are very positive?
Packaging design is a challenging discipline not a free form artistic expression. These design guides can help you focus on design features that help you fashion the design strategy for the best overall result possible.
And more tips on packaging!
Check out some design tips from experts in the industry. Are you up on the latest packaging trends? Since shoppers are 80% likely to make their purchase decision in the retail store, your packaging is a major sales influence. Let’s hope you’re getting POP right.
Get up to speed on the latest retail issues and tactics including customer experience design, mshoppers, or contract packaging. Want to know what is driving trends in packaging here or in Europe? Discover the benefits of pop up retail stores,